Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homemade Crab & Avocado Sushi



Yeah so, I've tried to make my own sushi before, but it turns out that I'd been doing it totally wrong! Nori (toasted seaweed sheets) are not supposed to be moistened with water before putting rice onto them *blush* - They roll up just fine even though they are "crunchy" and I thought they'd break if I didn't get them wet with my fingers!


It's really a lot easier than you might think to make your own sushi. I recommend the book Sushi For Dummies for anyone who loves sushi, whether beginner or long-time addict.


These babies are stuffed with fake crab, scallions, avocado, and cream cheese. I guess it's just like a California Roll!


I like to make my sushi rice a certain way; I don't exactly follow the recipes I've found online or in my book, but the amount I make is perfect for making enough rice for 3 7x8 inch nori sheets. They divide into 11-13 individual sushi pieces each, so this recipe makes plenty of sushi to share with friends (35-ish pieces)!


1 cup sushi rice, 1.5 cups water

3 tbs rice vinegar

2 tbs white sugar

1/2 tsp salt


Rinse the rice a few times, then put in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low until almost all the water is absorbed, then turn heat off until rice is tender. Heat rice vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Don't let it boil. Pour over rice and stir, then wait until it's cool enough to touch. Now you have sushi rice!!!
I'm not gonna explain exactly how you put together a sushi roll. But this tasted really good and lasted for 3 days! I just kept the sushi in the fridge with a moist paper towel over them, and wrapped the bowl with plastic wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment